Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fun says, "Think!"

The other day, a person commented on my friend's post. My friend has been posting out her ideas on how people can improve their relationships by following some simple rules. The person commented that when you need rules to make a relationship work, its not a relationship born out of love anymore, its a need rather than a necessity.

I replied that life is filled with rules, even gravity is a rule we need to follow and ignoring it could be deadly. Rules, when used appropriately, can enhance things significantly. And I believe that is my friend's objective - to inspire people to play by the right rules to make things better for everyone.

Isn't the logic clear here? If no one follows traffic rules, a lot of people will die from accidents. Yet the person cleverly argued back, "Ever heard of rules are meant to be broken?"

At this point, anger seized me, for how can a thinking people say such a thing? I angrily replied that the statement "rules are meant to be broken" is precisely the reason the world is so chaotic. And I asked the person to consider the idea of breaking the law of gravity by jumping of the Petronas Twin Towers.

Again, a very clever reply from him. He said that there are parachutes and bungee ropes. At this point, he was making personal attacks on me and I decided to bail the discussion.

His final reply is a very clever one because he AGREED with me that rules must be followed. The law of gravity holds, therefore he must apply other laws to keep his poor life. I wonder what will happen if nature suddenly decides that the rule of air resistance should be broken while he is parachuting...since he believe rules are meant to be broken...

No comments: